God loved us first. In response to such incredible love we are sent into the world to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. We accompany our friends and neighbors in the world focusing on folks in the Grand Valley. Members of the Outreach Team start initiatives and everyone is invited to join in.
THE ENTIRE GRAND VALLEY IS INVITED TO BRING A PICNIC AND ENJOY FREE MUSIC AT ST. MATTHEW’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH PAVILION 6 P.M.-8 P.M. SUNDAYS JULY 7TH-28TH.
These concerts are free. We will pass the hat to collect funds which will help children in our community. For example, to provide meals at shelters, shoes for school, and a safe home for coming out of foster care and transitioning to adulthood. Concerts are all family friendly. No donation is required.
July 7th Hot Tub Jazz (Versatile Jazz with brass, drums and fun!)
July 14th Jack + Jill (Their set list is composed of mainly originals, as well as a FEW “smash-up” cover songs from bands such as: Green Day, Stone Temple Pilots, Foo Fighters, Alice in Chains, Dave Matthews, Subline, Pink Floyd, Beck, Mazzy Star, Lorde…All of which are preformed JACK + JILL style, and are great crowd-pleasers.)
July 21st Anam, Celtic Music (Anam offers a delightful mix of Celtic and Irish music with both ancient and modern arrangements using innovative and traditional instruments. Great for the whole family.)
July 28th Stray Grass (Stray Grass specializes in high energy interpretation of acoustic music. Although played on traditional instruments (most of the time) the musical stylings of Stray Grass are anything.)
- Matthew's House: In partnership with The House/Karis St. Matthew's is sponsoring a home specifically designed for homeless youth aged 18-22 and provides services and a home for these who many times fall into a gap in care between foster care and adult services. The House's Mission is to provide a safe place for western slope teens. Last year they provided services to over 250 unaccompanied youth.
Our work at Matthew’s House continues to take form. CJ Levine is helping us beautify the properties at Matthew’s House and Bonnie’s House (Church of the Nativity sponsoring). We are so blessed to have CJ’s assistance and expertise in this project. Our first order of business is replacing some existing concrete that has cracked, become uneven and is unsafe for the residents. We will also be regrading some areas to prevent water damage to the homes. We will then place irrigation systems in both properties to minimize upkeep requirements by residents and prepare for new planting of more drought tolerant vegetation. Thanks to all who support the residents with your prayers and your contributions of time and talents. If you would like to support this mission with your tithes you can do so by indicating on your intent on the memo line of your check (Matthew’s House).
- The Outreach Day Center: A shared ministry with Grand Valley Catholic Outreach, the Day Center provides those in need with access to a mailing address, phones, computers, storage, shower and laundry facilities, job referrals, and twice-weekly the services of a Marillac Clinic Nurse and Mental Health Counselor. Volunteers arrive at 7:30 am, to make the day center ready for the day and, after prayers, staff and varied stations. After noon, clean-up is begun as guests prepare to leave for Catholic Outreach Soup Kitchen. Donations needed include: white socks, blue razors, spray deodorant, combs, brushes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, foot powder, sun-block, Tums, lotions, conditioners, shampoos, cough drops, candles, matches and insect repellent (with Deet), for guests who camp outdoors. Volunteers are always welcome.
- John McConnell Math & Science Center : The center provides math and science enrichment experiences to students in Mesa County. It was founded by St. Matthew's member John McConnell, and is a solely-volunteer operated organization. A dedicated volunteer staff is essential to the achievement of the center's mission. There is a continuing need for more citizens to serve as volunteers. For information about volunteering, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator, Bambi Harmon, Operations Manager at email@example.com for more information.
- Junction Shuttle : The church van operates on Monday. Passengers (primarily those in need) are picked up at the shelter and transported to local outreach agencies. There is a driver and rider for each trip. If you'd like to volunteer, contact the church office.
- Monthly Meal at Homeward Bound: On the Second Wednesday of the month we come together to prepare, serve, and clean up a meal with Homeward Bound. For more information about the next meal call the church office.
Ulman 4K for Cancer Bike Riders
The Bikers are coming!!! The Bikers are coming!!! We are again blessed to be hosting the 4K for Cancer bicycle riders as they ride across the county to raise awareness and funds to support young adults, and their loved ones impacted by cancer. The ride will depart from Baltimore’s Inner Harbor on June 2nd and arrive at Crissy Beach in San Francisco, CA on August 10th. 2019 marks their 18th year of cycling across American in the fight against cancer.
Riders will arrive here in Grand Junction in the afternoon of July 15th. We are again looking for sponsors to take them home for showers, let them do their laundry, and sleep in a comfortable bed. We are one of the very few stops along their journey to offer them the comforts of home. Early the next morning (July 16) we will feed them breakfast at the church and pray them off to San Francisco.
We will place a sign-up roster in the gathering if you want to house one or more riders. There are approximately 28 riders! Stay tuned for future updates and announcements on their progress! We are so blessed to join them again in their journey.
To learn more about the riders and their mission or follow their progress go to: https://4kforcancer.org/2019-team-san-francisco/
- Soles for Souls: Many children in Mesa County schools lack adequate foot wear, especially in the colder months. St. Matthew's is always collecting boys and girls shoes in all sizes. Talk to Deacon Rich Paul for more information.
- Slippers and Robes: during Lent we gather robes and slippers for folks living in nursing homes in the Grand Valley. We distribute these robes and slippers and bring joy to both the volunteers and those receiving them during the week after Easter.
- Clothing Drive : In the fall, we gather new and warm clothes for children at a local elementary school.
- Salvation Army Angels: During late fall and early winter, we gather gifts for children through the Salvation Army. We also gather gifts for teens and young adults living with poverty through the House and Matthew's House.